We all hit the point where email and social media just overloads every aspect of our lives. While at the gym this past week I watched how cell phone/PDA’s have taken over every aspect of our lives, even while trying to exercise. Even on the golf course I watch friends check emails and texts between swings. The only place I totally avoid this ritual is when I play tennis once a week. It’s hard to text while hitting a forehand.
So, I am going to try an on-line cleanse for the Month of December. Or at least what’s left of it.
It won’t be a total cold turkey, but it will be significant. It’s been on my mind for quite a while, so I thought this time of year was a perfect time to Detox or at least go on an on-line DIET.
Here are my own self-imposed rules:
1) Limit checking emails to 4 times a day max (early am, late am, mid- afternoon and after dinner). Once I read it; respond and file, or delete. Attempt to keep all messaging to a twitter length and 2 sentences max. Preferred answers are YES, NO, I will get back to you, here is what you requested (with information). No more than 3 back and forth emails (then a call or face to face).
2) Social media once a day around lunchtime or during lunch depending on where I am. This includes LinkedIn, Facebook, twitter, and all my favorite reading sites.
3) Only text family and friends for critical things, and try to move the text to a phone call or in person conversation as much as possible.
4) Weekends get cut to two email checks.
5) Turn my computer off completely between checks.
Ok, I know it sounds like I am still going to be on-line, however considering the average person checks their phone for email and texts over 100 times a day and millennials check almost 150 times a day, I think this is very conservative.
I also still read a traditional newspaper and a couple of business magazines so my need to ‘read’ will be partially satisfied with that. My once a day social media consumption will include news catchups. Fortunately, I am not a big Facebook or twitter junky, I only must concentrate to stay away from LinkedIn.
I hope to get some quality time back and put it to better use. I will be back in January to let you know how it went and I will still be writing a couple of Articles for Fistful of Talent to be posted later this month. I also may sneak in one post on year end messaging.
Have a great month!!!